Wednesday, November 23, 2005

To Vincent: Composition Time!

The Most Important Day in my life
The most important day in my life so far is the day when I first donated blood to the Hong Kong Red Cross six years ago. I remember the weather was very cold but I was very warm.
When I was a Form Seven student, my school organized a blood donation activity inside the school hall. I was attracted by the promotion banners and posters "Don't hesitate!" outside the hall and so I went inside with my classmates. I was so excited because it proved that I am an adult – only people that are 18 years old or above are eligible for donating blood. Actually, student donors account for over 20% of Blood Transfusion Service's annual blood collection and youth education is important for the future expansion of the donor base.
The nurse was very nice. She first checked my body temperature, my blood pressure, my red blood cell level and asked for my personal health record. This step was essential to ensure that the blood was not affected by AIDS or other diseases. Next, she brought me to a bed. After setting the devices, a needle was injected and I could see my blood flowing out from my body into the bag. I felt like not just donating my blood but also giving out hope to those staying in the hospitals suffering from pain.
The whole process was around ten minutes. Then another nurse gave me refreshment and I took a rest before going back to my classroom. I was given a badge as a souvenir. I was so happy that I showed off my badge to my classmates. I was very pound for being a life saver.
I think donating blood is a special, meaningful and interesting activity. Life is precious. It is not only a way to check your blood type, but also a way to share and care. It is a fortune if you can give – that means you are satisfied and enough. I opened my eye and my mind through this activity.
Next time when you pass through a blood donation centre, you should visit it and you can experience my happiness.

1 comment:

Emory Mayne said...

Very good post. I am in the Gallon club. O- universal donor ;)